Honor and Shame 101
Although honor-shame is the primary operating system for 80% of the world, it remains a significant blind spot in Western culture, theology, and missiology. There are also significant implications for leaders of cross-cultural teams. Watch this 5 minute animation explaining honor & shame for Christian ministry.
- The bible was written in an honor-shame culture.
- Honor-shame is like a social credit rating that is based on reputation and relationship.
- Use words to communicate honor not just ideas.
- Keep an eye on the relationship as well as the issues being discussed.
- “Avoiding shame and acquiring honor is the operating system behind
everyday life in honor-shame cultures.”
- As you watch this video on honor-shame, what key ideas or phrases stand out for you?
- What implications does honor-shame have for how you communicate, lead meetings, and motivate team members?
- Based on what you’ve learned about honor-shame, what is one thing you want to do differently?
This video was designed by the Honor-Shame Network and made available as a free resource on: